If you keep up with me on social media, you may have seen that I was mugged, robbed, and physically assaulted earlier this past week. I am currently feeling a lot better since then, but I was feeling very much shaken up for the past few days.

This past Tuesday, I was making a trip to Target during my three-hour break between my classes. I had taken the Colorado Express shuttle from campus to the Medpark station, which is about a block away from Target.

After leaving Target, I walked back to the Medpark station, along a cement trail designated for cyclists and pedestrians. As I was walking, a group of young men was also walking in the opposite direction towards me. They didn’t look like criminals, they looked like normal young men. As we crossed paths, one of the young men reached into my front pocket, attempting to grab my phone. As I tried to force his hand out of my pocket, the rest of the group pushed me to the ground.

I tried screaming, hoping that I could get someone’s attention, but no one seemed to hear me. The muggers ran off with my wallet and my backpack, but managed not to remove my brand new iPhone 7 from my pocket. I had angled my leg upwards when I was pushed to the ground, as a means of blocking their hands from reaching into my pocket. The phone remained intact, without a single scratch or chip.

The whole exchange took place within the course of about 10 to 15 seconds, but it was still one of the most frightening experiences of my life.

After I got off of the ground, I ran into the mail center belonging to a nearby apartment complex. A young lady was checking her mail and could tell I was distraught. I explained to her what happened, and she called 911. The cops made it to the scene within the course of five minutes.

The cops had me give a written statement, then took pictures of me. About 45 minutes later, the muggers were caught and handcuffed in a wooded area near the scene of the crime.

I was escorted by the cops to the wooded area, where I was asked to identify the muggers. I was sitting in the back of a car with tinted windows, so I don’t think they had any idea that I was identifying them. After identifying the muggers, I requested that the police officers escort me to class. Very few things stress me out more than having to miss class, especially near the end of the semester, so I insisted on going back to school for the day.

After class, I was taken to the police station, as the officers wanted me to give a statement on camera. I was given back the contents of my wallet and taken home safely. I have yet to be given my backpack back.

The next day, I shared a lengthy status on Facebook explaining what had happened. Initially, I didn’t want to draw attention to myself and my victimhood, however, I felt the responsibility to inform people of potential dangers within the city and near campus. The response I received was overwhelming and I was reminded that I have several friends who care about my wellbeing.

I am currently feeling a lot better, still struggling to make the effort to go out. This past Friday, I went out to the bar district for my friend Kali’s 21st birthday, and I went on a movie date last night, however, my anxiety has been heightened to new levels.

I’ve been Google-searching the news story and the names of the muggers everyday since the mugging took place to make sure they’re still behind bars and that they haven’t hurt anyone else. The last I’ve heard, the muggers were sitting behind iron bars being held on a $50,000 bond.

I am doing a lot better since the robbery, but I am still slightly shaken up. I will be seeing a counselor this week to help me cope with the subsequent anxiety. I’ve never sought out professional help on my own before, so this will be a relatively new experience. I will continue to share updates regarding what happens, as I want to send the message that their is nothing wrong with addressing one’s psychological issues and seeking help for them.